I purchased a low end G4 iBook with an AirPort card and an AirPort Extreme base station. What prompted this madness, I hear the family and other sane members of the public asking?
A number of things, I suppose, and in no particular order.
- I thought it was time to learn more about wireless, particularly as the local council intends establishing a continuous WiFi (wireless fidelity) zone along the length of Lambton Quay, the main retail street in Wellington.
- I wanted to be online without having to be seated at the desk.
- Wanted better OmniGraffle performance. A G3 500 iBook I was using, just could not hack the zooming in and out of simple diagrams.
- I need a way to manage digital photos when travelling. You can only fit so many onto a compact flash card. And I like to review and cull photos on a computer rather than on camera.
- I went cheap rather than top of the range. I don't think I am ready to make a laptop my primary machine yet. And I did not want to pay a premium to find out.
And I am impressed. Working sans wires is fantastic. It means that I can read the news, blogs without being tied down to one place. Zooming in OmniGraffle is improved. Will have to wait till I travel to see how it handles photos.